The teenage years, also called adolescence, is a time for a lot of changes in children. These changes include physical, mental, and social aspects. Children undergo puberty that causes sexual and physical changes. They also start to develop abstract thinking and complex reasoning. Teenagers also tend to show more independence from their parents and want to spend more time with their peers.
Along with the developmental changes, adolescents go through shifts in their interests. They also go through a lot of challenges. In this post, let’s talk about some of the interests and struggles teenagers go through.
- 1. Teenage age range
- 2. Understanding teenage fashion
- 3. Trending teenage clothes
- 4. Choosing teenage underwear
- 5. Current teenage hairstyles
- 6. Modern teenage room ideas
- 7. Top teenage romance movies of 2022
- 8. Dealing with teenage rebellion
- 9. What teenage angst means
- 10. Fighting teenage depression
- 11. Addressing different types of teenage addiction
- 12. Dealing with body image problems
- 13. How to treat teenage acne
- 14. Other challenges during teenage years
- 15. Teenage dream
1. Teenage age range
Children aged 13-18 are considered teenagers. However, strictly speaking about adolescents, the World Health Organization defines them as individuals aged 10-19, when children experience growth spurts and other developmental changes.
2. Understanding teenage fashion
Fashion is one way growing children express themselves. Different factors affect the way they dress up. During this age, many teens dress up to fit in, to feel confident, and look cool. Their fashion style is usually influenced by their peers where they want to belong. It is also influenced by celebrities and anyone they adore. Finally, teenage fashion is also often inspired by the current styles and brands they see in magazines and social media.
3. Trending teenage clothes
Now more than ever, trending teenage clothes is so varied that teens can dress up with what makes them look great without feeling uncomfortable. Below are just some of trending clothes teenagers love to put on.
Trending teenage boy clothes
Trending teenage girl clothes
4. Choosing teenage underwear
Choosing underwear for teens call for functionality and comfort. When it comes to materials, cotton is soft and breathable, which make a great option for active adolescents. Make sure the underclothing fits the body well with a comfortable cut. And since teens value independence and choice, don’t forget to pick a style or color that your child prefers.
When it comes to functionality, you can begin by choosing age-appropriate undergarments and those that fit their lifestyle. For instance, early adolescent girls may start using baby bras. Your teenage girl may also want to wear period underwear when needed. Sports bras are also great for girls into sports and athletics.
For the boys, they can choose between briefs or boxers. For athletic teenage boys, they may want to get boxer briefs for better comfort and support.
5. Current teenage hairstyles
Just like dressing up, teenagers express their style through their hair. With the rise of social media and other online fashion sources, teenagers can easily find inspiration for their hair styles. From wearing vibrant hair colors to showing off different hair cuts, adolescents express themselves in various hairstyles like the ones below.
Related reading: Teenager Haircut: A Teenager’s and Parent’s Point of View
6. Modern teenage room ideas
The bedroom is where your child rests, does homework, hangs out with friends, and spends some alone time. For these reasons, it’s just fair to create a bedroom designed and filled with what your teenager loves. Of course, you should not sacrifice functionality.
Below are some modern teenage room ideas your children will love.
7. Top teenage romance movies of 2022
Adolescents love to watch teenage romance movies because they are emotionally relatable. It allows them to confront their feelings. Psychotherapist Jonathan Alpert also say that watching romantic movies, especially the very sad ones helps release their stress and calm them with them range of emotions they are feeling.
Old or new releases, the following are some of the top teenage romance movies of 2022. You may click on the photos to learn what the movies are about.
8. Dealing with teenage rebellion
It is natural and common for teens to rebel. During adolescence, children start to develop their sense of individuality and personal identity. The hormones, the need for control, and having different preferences, values, and beliefs cause teens to show rebellious or defiant behavior.
Teenage rebel signs
The following are common signs of a rebellious teenager:
- Disregard for home and school rules and sometimes community laws.
- Constantly neglecting school responsibilities.
- Alcohol drinking and smoking.
- Experimenting with drugs.
- Showing self-destructive behavior.
- Engaging in extreme sports or other dangerous activities.
How to deal with teenage rebellion
Here are some tips on dealing with a rebellious teen:
- Establish a clear seat of rules. Let your teen understand the reason behind your expectations. Develop rules with their participation to encourage compliance.
- Practice open communication. Learn to talk and ask respectfully. Listen intently to your teen without being judgmental. Be emphatic so your child will learn to open up to you.
- Extend your patience and choose your battles. Be more patient and assess things carefully. Decide if you really need to address a situation or if it’s okay to just let it go. Parents need to acknowledge that children need acceptable degree of independence and control in their lives.
- Seek help and support. When dealing with a teen rebel becomes a struggle, you can always turn to professionals for help. Relatives and friends also make great support system for your journey.
9. What teenage angst means
Teenage angst is a feeling of intense emotional or mental turmoil that some adolescents go through. This can include feeling overwhelmed with stress or anxiety, experiencing mood swings, and struggling to make decisions. Teenagers may also feel like they’re not in control of their lives, which can lead to feelings of insecurity and isolation.
While it can sometimes be challenging, teenagers need to talk about their feelings with a trusted adult. They should also try to stay active and engaged in activities that make them happy, such as spending time with friends or participating in sports.
As a parent, you can help your child deal with teenage angst by offering support and encouragement. You can also be there to listen when they need you most.
10. Fighting teenage depression
Depression is a serious mental disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems. Depression that can affect people of all ages, but it is especially common in teenagers. In fact, according to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), teenage depression is one of the most common mental disorders in the United States. But the good news is, it can be treated.
What are the symptoms of teenage depression?
Teenage depression signs can be different from those of adults. Some researchers believe that the way depression affects teenagers is a result of the hormonal changes that occur during puberty. Depression in adolescents can also be particularly challenging because of the intense social pressures and peer pressure that they experience. Parents, teachers, and other adults can sometimes lose sight of the fact that teens are still developing emotionally.
The following are some common symptoms of teenage depression:
- feelings of sadness,
- loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyable,
- difficulty concentrating,
- and weight change or loss.
Teenagers who are struggling with depression may also feel like they have no control over their life and may become isolated from their friends and family.
What causes teenage depression?
Scientists are not sure what causes teenage depression, but they do know that it’s not just a result of bad luck or bad genes. It’s often the result of problems that teens face such as family dysfunction, bullying, economic hardship, and social isolation. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent and treat teenage depression.
How do you deal with teenage depression?
If you think your teen might be depressed, talk to your doctor or mental health professional. Treatment options include therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes.
- Therapy can help teenagers with depression understand their thoughts and feelings and learn how to manage them.
- Medication may be prescribed to help improve moods.
- Lifestyle changes such as healthy diet, regular exercise, relaxation techniques, and getting enough sleep can also help fight teenage depression.
11. Addressing different types of teenage addiction
Teens are particularly vulnerable to addiction. Their brains are still developing and they are more likely to take risks. There are several different types of addiction that teens can develop, including addiction to drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, food, and gambling.
Addiction can have a devastating impact on teens and their families. It can lead to problems at school, social isolation, financial troubles, health problems, and criminal behavior. The good news is that it is a treatable disease. With treatment and support, most teenagers can overcome their addictions.
How to deal with teenage addiction
If you’re worried that your teenager may be addicted to something, there are things you can do to help.
- Talk to your teenager about addiction and what it means. Be open and honest, and let them know that you’re there to help them if they need it.
- Seek professional help. A therapist can help identify the source of your child’s addiction. It may be something they’re struggling with at home or school, or it could be a way of coping with stress or anxiety. Once you’ve identified the source of addiction, you and your therapist can start working on a treatment plan. This may include therapy or medication if needed.
- Be supportive and understanding as your teen goes through treatment.
12. Dealing with body image problems
Body image problems are common among teenagers. Some of us parents may not know how to help our teens deal with these issues.
There are a few things parents can do to help their teens.
- Talk to your teen about body image. Explain that everyone is different and that there is no perfect body type. Emphasize that people are valued for their personality and accomplishments, not their appearance.
- Help your teen develop a healthy attitude towards food and exercise. Encourage your child to eat a balanced diet and get regular exercise. These lifestyle changes will help them feel good about themselves both inside and out.
- Be supportive and positive. Teenagers often struggle with self-confidence, and it’s important for parents to make them feel loved and accepted unconditionally.
13. How to treat teenage acne
Acne is a common skin problem that starts when oil and dead skin cells clog pores. Pores are the tiny holes on the surface of the skin that release oil. If they become blocked, dirt and bacteria can build up, which can cause an infection. Acne is most common during puberty, but it can happen at any age.
There are many different treatments for acne, but not all of them work for everyone. Your skin doctor may prescribe medicines such as antibiotics or topical treatments like gels or creams. You can also buy over-the-counter medicines like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid to treat mild cases of acne.
How to help prevent teenage acne
There are several things your teenager can do to prevent acne from developing.
- Keep skin clean. Wash face twice a day with a gentle cleanser. If your teenager wears makeup, be sure to to have it removed it before bedtime. Avoid touching the face unnecessarily, as this can aggravate the skin and cause breakouts.
- Minimize sugary and fatty foods. Eating foods that are high in sugar and fat can promote acne breakouts.
- Avoid excessive washing or using harsh cleansers. Overcleaning can leave skin dry and irritated, increasing skin oil production and triggering an acne breakout.
- Choose skin products that are oil-free and noncomedogenic that don’t clog the pores.
- Don’t pop, scratch, or pick pimples. It may spread infection to deeper layers of the skin, causing further inflammation and scarring.
14. Other challenges during teenage years
There are many others challenges that teenagers face during their teenage years.
One of the biggest challenges is developing a sense of identity. Teens are trying to figure out who they are, what they believe in, and where they fit in. This can be difficult when they are faced with so many different opinions and influences from their peers and the media. The process of identity formation is not always easy, but it is an important part of growing up.
Another big challenge that teens face is making good decisions. On the surface, teens appear to be making good decisions. Teens are often tempted by peer pressure and other outside influences that tell them that something is “cool” or “right” but they don’t actually have the maturity to make a good decision.
While it may be challenging, there are a number of things teens can do to make better decisions including the following:
- Take some time to think about the decision you need to make. What are the possible outcomes of your decision? What are the risks and rewards associated with each option?
- Talk to someone you trust about the decision you need to make. Ask them for their opinion and advice.
- Make a list of pros and cons for each possible decision. This will help you weigh the pros and cons of each option and make a more informed decision.
- Think about what is important to you in this situation. What factors are most important to you?
Social and cultural skills
Teenagers also need to develop their social and cultural skills. This includes developing a sense of belonging, developing friendships, and working out how they fit into the social structure of their peer group.
With the right tools, parents can help their teenagers develop the social and cultural skills they need to succeed
- Find out what your teenager’s interests are and what kind of activities they enjoy. Once you know that, you can start looking for clubs, groups, or activities that align with those interests.
- Volunteering is also a great way for teenagers to develop social skills. It allows them to meet new people and gives them the opportunity to help others in need.
- Finally, parents should encourage their teenagers to take on leadership roles in different activities. This will help them develop important skills like communication and problem-solving.
15. Teenage dream
Most teenagers go through a phase where they think about what they want to be when they grow up. They may have dreams of becoming a doctor, a teacher, or an astronaut. For some teenagers, their dream is to become a famous singer or actor.
As parents, it is important that we let our children know that we support them no matter what they want to be when they grow up. That being said, it is also helpful for us to give our children a little push in the right direction. We can talk to them about their passions and interests, and help them stay motivated and focused on their goals.
In conclusion, teenagers face many struggles and interests. While some of these struggles may be unique to teenagers, many are common to all humans. It is important for parents and other adults to remember this and to be understanding. Teens need support as they navigate through these challenges, and they also need opportunities to explore their interests. Adults can help by providing a listening ear, positive reinforcement, and opportunities for growth.