Many parents face the challenge of working from home and caring for their children. But one difficult challenge that seems hard to deal with is self-care. While we know that caring for oneself is as important as looking out for family members, there seems to be always no time, no opportunity.
If you are having a hard time balancing work, family, and self-care at home, this post is for you.
Working from home
The rise of freelance and online jobs has allowed many parents to work from home. These jobs may be full-time or part-time, making them a fitting second or third way to earn money.
Examples of ways to earn money online include freelance writing, becoming a virtual assistant, affiliate marketing, coaching, online tutorials, transcription, drop-shipping, running an online retail business, and more.
Finding the right balance
The work-from-home setup allows you to look out for your children while you earn money. While this may seem easy and convenient, the real challenge comes when you try to find balance. You may find yourself trying to squeeze in self-care to be more efficient at work and with family.
Here are some tips for self-care while you juggle work and parenting at home:
- Have a designated space and schedule. Look for a place at home that is free from distractions and conducive for working. Also, make a work schedule that also considers your time with your family and chores.
- Set boundaries. Create boundaries and tell your children about your work schedule and space. Have some rules as to when and how they can approach you during work if they really need to.
- Take a break. Don’t forget to include short breaks within your work schedule to avoid eye strain and work overload.
- Do mindfulness exercises. Mindfulness exercises like meditation and stretching can help set a good mood for work and family. You may practice mindfulness exercises by the time you wake up, during your breaks, and before bedtime.
- Breathe deeply. When overwhelmed with work or children, take a step back and try deep breathing. One way you can do this is to inhale deeply for five counts, then holding it for another five counts, and finally exhaling slowly for five more counts.
- Do self-care with your children. Do relaxation and other self-care activities with your children when they are around. This way, you can relax and bond with your children at the same time.
- Avoid junk foods. As much as possible, try not to eat junk foods. Instead, eat healthy food that will boost your immune system, give you the right amount of energy, and make you feel generally good.
- Have some sunshine. Even 5 to 15 minutes of sunshine daily can help improve your mood and keep your body functioning well.
We parents face the responsibilities of providing for our family and caring for them. But one thing we should not forget is to take care of ourselves. No matter how challenging it is, take a few minutes of self-care so that we can better care for the ones we love.
If you want to spend quality time with your children, why not read to them. Here’s an interesting book we recommend – an incredible story about adventure, travel, culture, and friendship that knows no boundaries! Learn more: The Secret Garden of N.